Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Terrarium Update


As promised, we built our little terrarium this past weekend. The hubs and I have wanted to add some greenery to our home and given that the both of us do not a have a particularly green thumb, making a cute lovely terrarium was a great solution. Above is my first succulent terrarium... I'm super smitten over it! It now lives on one of our side tables in the living room next to a nice little window. I followed the diy from Birdhouse, which I mentioned last week. We used the open face terrarium bowl we bought from west elm because it had nice space to put different plants and it was easy to use with it's wide open face. I figure, its my first one so I need to make this as simple as possible.

I collected all my materials which included a glass container, pebbles, active charcoal (can get at a pet store. Its used in aquariums), succulent soil and an assortment of succulent plants.

It was pretty easy to make. First you put a layer of pebbles in, then mix in some active charcoal, put your soil on top of that mixture and then place your plants as you please...and voila!!






The total project cost me about $40 but I have all material to make up to 3 more terrariums ( i bought too many succulents and the bag of soil and carton of charcoal gives you a ton) so after I make those 3 it will come out to be about $10 a terrarium. This is definitely a budget friendly project that makes a lovely gift for someone or if you are just looking for a low maintenance way to add some lovely green to your home.

Hope you enjoyed our little project.

xoxo
Annaliese

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! Discovered your blog through Louise's versatile blogger award list... congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! ooo an award?! thanks of the heads up =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...